SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITES
The Public Relations Officer who will be responsible for organizing and overseeing the Public Relations (PR) activities and ensure effective communication with stakeholders, media and the public. The Public Relations Officer is expected to utilize a wide range of media to build and sustain a good image for the Institute or brand through planned publicity campaigns and PR activity. He or she will manage the public images of individuals and/or the Institute. He will be responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and assessing information and communication strategies.
He or She will be tasked with the role of delivering and publishing digital content which will increase traffic to the Institute of Petroleum Studies, Kampala (IPSK) Website and Social media platforms, improve the IPSK profile, create competitive advantage, reinforce the Brand and maximize the potential for revenue generation. The Public Relations Officer will develop and publish content to specifically target prospective students, their parents and teachers, prospective IPSK audience members, corporate stakeholders and a range of visitors to all IPSK digital platforms.
REPORTS TO: The Marketing Manager
Interfaces: Students, Lecturers, Principal, all Staff and Guild
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES· Overseeing content production (i.e., adverts, videos, social media and online Public Relations stunts);
· In collaboration with the IT Manager and Marketing Manager, delivery of social media content and promotion of the IPSK brand on a range of digital platforms (predominantly Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and any developing platforms);
· Capture and develop relevant, engaging content (including still and video images) for a range of audiences, ensuring regular and consistent messaging across all platforms;
· Consult with colleagues across IPSK to support them in recognizing potential content and in ensuring that every opportunity for promotion and positioning is maximized;
· Grow the Institute of Petroleum Studies, Kampala (IPSK)in specific social media measures (likes, followers etc.) in order to ensure that its digital presence is in line with its global standing;
· Preparing press releases, keynote speeches and promotional material;
· Arranging press conferences and events;
· Generate positive press and media reports by fostering relationships with key influencers in media houses, and keeping them abreast with new Institute of Petroleum Studies, Kampala (IPSK) developments and news worthy stories;
- Address inquiries from the media and other parties
· To increase the amount of Academic content on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Website via regular news, images and/or videos;
· To ensure that all Programs currently running are represented fairly;
· Develop, and or, review Content that is driven by Institute’s requirements, and should highlight areas that need more input from Staff and Students;
· To show what life at the IPSK is like through day-to-day coverage (this can include lessons, games, rehearsals, backstage footage etc.), offering a unique insight to life at the IPSK;
· To increase the amount of IPSK news on the Website to be used for Social media (particularly Twitter);
· Additionally, to develop a Newsfeed and or Newsletter for IPSK to be displayed on the relevant webpage;
· To enhance the IPSK’s media partnership with relevant Radio or FM stations and Television Stations through short performance videos (mobile footage);
· To ensure all content received (if usable) has an outlet – social media, Website or screens;
- Track media coverage and follow industry trends and prepare and submit PR reports
· Ensure noticeboards around the IPSK and the Website are updated regularly and feature appropriate and with up-to-date messages;
· Support the Marketing Manager in developing Corporate Marketing and PR activities;
- Edit and update promotional material and publications (brochures, videos, social media posts etc.)
- Organize PR events (e.g. open days, press conferences) and serve as the company’s spokesperson
· Work closely with the IT Manager to deliver interesting and appropriate online news for Staff;
· Support Marketing and Communications initiatives in developing internal online communications, with a view to enhancing the experience of Students during their Course/Program and to improve internal communications across the Institute’s community;
· To carry out other duties as requested by the Principal
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skillset, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the job position. It is anticipated that this job description will change over time in accordance with the needs of the role.
Jointly responsible and not a signatory to any IPSK Bank accounts, but may prepare local purchase orders and requisitions of up to an amount agreed upon.
People Management Responsibilities:
None, but works closely with the Principal, HR Manager, the Dean of Studies, Registrar and Bursar ensuring that accountability and reporting requirements are met.
Corporate/Local Responsibilities & Requirements:
The job holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to IPSK's:
· Human Resources Policy
· Code of conduct
· Equality & Diversity Policy
· Health & Safety Policy
· Information technology policy and Data Protection Act
Person Specifications/ Recruitment Criteria
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
Essential: Holder of a recognised Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Journalism and Communications, Management, Business or Media Studies
A Postgraduate qualification with a Public Relations specialization is an added advantage.
Desirable: Expert knowledge of Oil and Gas Management and or within a similar industry in different firms would be a plus.
Previous work experience required:
Essential: Minimum of two (02) years of progressively responsible positions related to Public Relations.
Experience managing a busy schedule with multiple tasks involved for more than two years in a public or private sector environment
Desirable: Progressive work experience within a similar industry in different firms.
Technical knowledge or skills:
Essential: Proven experience as a Public Relations Officer or similar PR role; experience managing media relations (online, broadcast and print); Background in researching, writing and editing publications; Proficient in MS Office and Social media
Desirable: Experience in presentation using Ms Office packages, familiarity with Project management Software and Video/Photo editing, ability to write Reports for various readerships and documentation.
Time required in job to reach effective performance:
Probation period – 3 months
Time to reach full effectiveness – 6 months
o Public speaking and Project management abilities
o Teamwork and team spirit
o Logical and forward thinking
o Concern for excellence
o Result orientation
o High Confidence levels and Presentation skills
o Ability to prioritize and plan effectively
o Ability and willingness to learn
o Time Management Skills
o Excellent Communication skills both, orally and in writing
o Excellent Interpersonal, Organizational and People skills
o Good IT skills
o Can demonstrate strong creativity and problem-solving aptitude
o Awareness of different media agendas
o Good Social Media skills and presence
o High levels of initiative
o Ability to work well under pressure
o Good Research Skills
o Interest in Current Affairs
o Basic Computer Skills including Understanding of Social Media and Design Software
THE APPLICATION: Interested candidates should submit the following, (please note that incomplete applications will not be considered):
1. One page summary of your qualifications and experience, indicating how you meet the expected skillset and competencies for the position and, your motivation for applying (your signature is required on the document). Also, quote the source of the advertisement.
2. Use the address: The Human Resources Office, Institute of Petroleum Studies, Kampala (IPSK)
3. Your Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English (please include your current residence address, telephone number, and email address, date of birth, gender and nationality);
4. Copies of Academic Transcripts and Certificates (preferably certified Academic documents are required)
5. Names, full contact details and email addresses, of at least three (03) referees.
6. Email your Application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Deadline for Submission: 15th December 2019 at 23:59hrs
The Institute of Petroleum Studies, Kampala (IPSK), is an equal opportunity employer.
***Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.