This unit will develop students’ theoretical and practical understanding of the recognition, evaluation and management of occupational hygiene and related safety hazards. This course is intended to increase knowledge of OSHA regulations related to industrial hygiene as well as relevant industrial hygiene practices and procedures. Workplace contaminants and stressors and their evaluation: gases, vapours, dusts, heat and noise will form the focal points for investigation and analysis Specific topics such as permissible exposure limits, respiratory protection, engineering controls, hazard communication, sampling instrumentation, hearing conservation, workplace health program and other industrial hygiene issues will be addressed.
• Define terms relating to OSHA health requirements
• Recognize potential health hazards in the workplace
• Perform basic health hazard evaluations using OSHA sampling procedures
• Recommend suitable strategies for controlling hazardous conditions
• Describe the elements required for an effective workplace health program