"FOR GOD'S OWN COUNTRY"
- Thou shalt beware: Uganda, Pearl of Africa, Gifted by God;Who deeded Petroleum to born in 21st Century. From Upstream, through Midstream to Downstream, “God's Own Country” is at a Hydrocarbons Cross Roads.
- Thou shalt Adopt austere policies to ensure the State joining EITI (Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative); public access to PSAs (Production Sharing Agreements); PWYE (Publish What You Earn) for Government; PWYP (Publish What You Pay) for oil companies; creating an independent PIAC (Public Interest Accountability Convention) and a credible HSSE (Health, Safety, Security and Environment) framework.
- Thou shalt Believe in Petroleum as a strategic valuable Mineral Resource; but non-renewable and finite that shalt exhaust ultimately; thence must be sustainably used to advance the promotion of Renewable Energy Resources (RER).
- Thou shalt Establish and operate credible National Petroleum Institutions (Ministries/Departments/Agencies/Workers Unions) of impeccable world class standards with high level human resource capacity building Innovations.
- Thou shalt Safeguard, always, Peoples' land, water and air; the fauna, the flora, the biodiversity, against human grabbing, pollution, and destruction throughout the Petroleum value-chain; thence ensuring Regeneration and Human Security.
- Thou shalt Drive the Petroleum sector to grow and build strong and sustainable Host Community, Local and National Content Development with requisite science education, technology, capacity, businesses, competences, and bank financing.
- Thou shalt Utilize the Country's Petroleum resources and revenues to significantly cause speedy achievement of poverty abolition and create eternal added value to ALL in society.
- Thou shalt Provide for the Country's and People's vital National Interest to be adequately protected and promoted with competent Foreign, Defense and Security Policies (FDSP) deemed of a new Pan-African Petro State.
- Thou shalt Ensure effective and efficient partition of Government roles of licensing, regulation, and commercial aspects of the Petroleum industry; thence guaranteeing Industry Perestroika and Glasnost, Good governance, Transparency and Accountability.
- Thou shalt Set up and run, judiciously a Petroleum Sovereign Wealth Trust / Fund and Host Community Development Trust/Fund but shalt never ever utilize the Funds for disruptive partisan politics and patronage that cause more Doom and Gloom than Boom.
"FOR GOD'S OWN PEOPLE"
- Thou shalt not Covet nor steal thy neighbours' Petroleum reservoirs, reserves and/or resources; across lakes, rivers and land borders; thence ensuring regional Peace and Security; avoiding Petro-aggression evils.
- Thou shalt not but Honour the almighty Albertine Graben, listen to and respect the Host Communities; love and protect the Environment and the VECs (Valued Ecosystem Components); build modern Infrastructure; render befitting CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) and banish PID (Poverty, Ignorance and Disease)
- Thou shalt not Enable Petroleum to engineer in-country the Paradox of Plenty, or the Paradox of Poverty Amidst Plenty or the Oil Resource Curse; show casting Uganda as inertly Rich Underground and overtly Poor above ground; So Rich, Yet So Poor!
- Thou shalt not but Act with serenity in support of Women and Youth in Petroleum through sustainable affirmative Science Education, Empowerment, Employment, and Entrepreneurship.
- Thou shalt not Promote the Uganda Petro State to be Corrupted by the production and consumption of pervasive Unaccountability, secretive Resource Mismanagement Practices and Vices, diminutive Transparency; and not so good Governance.
- Thou shalt not Permit doubtful SESIAs (Strategic Environmental and Social Impact Assessments); Rent Seeking processes; enticement to local internal conflicts; excessive borrowing; unmanaged oil price volatility and untamed DDS (Dutch Disease Syndrome).
- Thou shalt not Endanger the Country's energy and commercial oil interests, domestic and foreign, but shalt craft international best practices and achieve Win-Win Partnerships; thence wisely beneficiating Resource nationalism.
- Thou shalt not Disempower the People and their Parliaments from taking strong legislative, oversight and budgetary control functions over petroleum resources and revenues for sustained national health, educational, commercial, agricultural and industrial growth and development for ALL.
- Thou shalt not but prudently Invest oil revenues to specific, targeted support to Agricultural Modernization and Agro processing through soft loans, facilitated market access, subsidized access to fertilizers and equipment and a large competent extension work force.
- Thou shalt not but Agree to a fair benefit-sharing mechanism of petroleum revenues with direct income payments to Citizens which shalt be taxed; thence disallowing increasingly unequal and segmented distribution of oil wealth.
- Thou shalt stand warned “In this 21st century, as hast manifested other where, as thou sees' now, furthering on…thou shalt shudder: Petroleum shalt wreak dilapidation upon us…True…True… Petroleum is Satan's Feculence. CureOilCurse is do or die.”
The “21 Commandments of Oil for 21st Century Uganda” were authored by Ambassador Mbabazi-Araali, a retired Ugandan Senior Foreign Service Officer, a career diplomat of several decades and from 2013 to end 2016 was deployed at the Uganda Embassy, Abu Dhabi, UAE as Deputy Head of Mission and Head of Chancery. He is a West African trained Senior Management expert (Mini-MBA) in the Petroleum industry (at NNPC up to 2010) and an awarded Researcher in local content development and capacity building. He is also an experienced Energy Analyst on the Maghreb and Mashrek (including the Gulf) region.
Irene Muloni (R), the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development and Roger Cressey, the CEO Armour Energy display a Memorandum of Understanding certificate after signing the oil exploration licence on Sept. 14. INDEPENDENT/JIMMY SIYA
Kampala, Uganda | RONALD MUSOKE | On Sep 14, the Ugandan government signed a production sharing agreement with the Australian Armour Energy Ltd and issued a petroleum exploration licence, the first under the competitive licensing round for oil and gas unveiled two years ago.
28 Sep 2017
Uganda will seek to join OPEC once the East African nation starts pumping crude out from Lake Albert oil fields along the western border with the Democratic Republic of Congo at the end of the decade, Uganda's energy and minerals minister Irene Muloni said Wednesday. The Ugandan government took the decision to join OPEC after consultations with other existing member states, including Equatorial Guinea, Muloni told an oil and gas conference in Kampala.
"When we start producing our oil, we will join OPEC, to reap the benefits from being a member of the organization, these include stability of prices," she said. "We remain on course to deliver first oil in 2020."